Zuma’s bride-to-be forced to resign her job
Former South African president Jacob Zuma’s wife-to-be, Nonkanyiso Conco, has been forced to resign from her job as National Executive Committee Treasurer and Communications officer at a non-profit organization.
The 24-year-old was asked to step aside from her job at She Conquers, a non-governmental organisation, for failing to disclose her relationship with Zuma.
Leonora Mathe the deputy chairperson of She Conquers confirmed that Conco had handed in her resignation on Sunday.
According to Mathe, Conco’s relationship with Zuma was against the organization’s aims and objectives.
“Yes, Conco did resign yesterday… As young girls, we are lured and used by people with power who use their position to take advantage of us
“As a campaign, we promote economic empowerment and self-dependence of young women to eliminate the concept of reliance on ‘blessers’,’’ said Mathe.
While speaking to a South African publication, the organization’s national executive committee chairperson Lerato Morulane said that they knew Conco planned to marry but not “who she was marrying”.
“[Conco] has not been transparent with us and this is one of the things we are pushing in the campaign‚ for transparency and accountability towards young people,” said Morulane said.
Conco reportedly delivered Zuma’s 23rd child last week at a private hospital in the coastal city of Durban described as a VIP delivery.
She will become his seventh wife. His fifth wife took her own life in 2000 and the sixth one who was his preferred presidential successor divorced him in 2008.
She Conquers was established by President Cyril Ramaphosa in 2016 as a body that campaigns to improve the lives of adolescent girls and young women in South Africa by helping them avoid unwanted pregnancies‚ HIV infections and gender-based violence.